Thursday, February 4, 2010

Have the Tiger Faithful Lost Their Faith?


First of all, I am an LSU fan to the core. I was basically raised in Tiger Stadium, I bleed purple and gold and I name some of my pets after football players. I will support the team no matter what happens. I feel the need to defend my devotion, because what I am going to tell you may shock a few of you, and for the die-hard fans, could bring a tear to your eye.

I DO NOT LIKE Les Miles. There I said it, and the giant elephant in the room has finally vanished. Although for most of you who know me, this revelation did not come as a surprise. Les is a good person, just not a good coach for a top-tier Southeastern Conference team. I feel like the future of the program is in jeopardy. I don’t feel comfortable with my beloved Tigers running out of the tunnel to 92,000 screaming fans with Les leading the charge. After this past Wednesday’s festivities, I am realizing that I am no longer in the minority with my opinion.

For anyone who doubts my loyalty to LSU football, let me explain something; I love the program so much that I got on a plane at 5:05 pm Tuesday, February 2 headed for New Orleans and then got back on a plane at 9:40 am Thursday, February 4 bound for Birmingham. This means that I was in my home state for less than 48 hours just so that I could work the LSU Gridiron Club’s annual recruiting day party, the Bayou Bash.

For the third year in a row I donned my VIP Hostess t-shirt while serving food and beer to LSU fans, many of whom paid $2000 for a table right by the stage. Being that this wasn’t my first rodeo, I know what the atmosphere of this social gathering usually feels like, so I believed I knew what to expect. What I got, was nothing like I anticipated.

Most tables were not full, the food and beer barely seemed to be flowing and the usually rowdy crowd was surprisingly subdued all day. I have tried to figure out what could have caused the drastic mood change. I have come to the following conclusions: most of the recruits had signed before we were finished serving breakfast, the economy is bad and people felt it was difficult to leave work to come mingle, and Tiger fans may be losing faith in their beloved team.

The general consensus is the team has not performed up to their potential the last two years. I am not just talking about loosing games. Every team is going to lose a game now and then. In the modern era of football, in the toughest conference (SEC), being perfect is a daunting task. Even our two national championship seasons came with a loss or two. So what has changed, and why do we all feel so entitled to perfection?

For LSU, it is not the “L” in the column for a few games that hurts; it is the way in which we have lost those games. It is a 4th quarter loss when you have been leading all game, calling the option (which had not worked all season) on 3rd and long, to lose because our offense could not muster a touchdown, and losses due to poor clock management. These sorts of things have left a bitter taste in our mouths. I feel you can blame the majority of these losses on the coaching staff for not preparing the team.

Judging from the reaction of the fans at the Bayou Bash, many of them feel the same. As tradition, when the LSU head football coach would speak, everyone in the room would listen, and yes, I am counting the sad days of Curley Hallman and Mike Archer. During Miles’ speech people were texting and talking on their cell phones, and amongst each other. It was very clear that he did not have our undivided attention for his speech about things not “being good enough,” that felt rehearsed and insincere. In a room that would normally erupt with applause and cheers when every coach was introduced, the welcome was a bit icy. Few clapped and even less stood to offer support. If the coaches did not know before Wednesday that fans are unhappy, they know it now.

After such a calm, civil Bayou Bash, what does this tell us? Are tiger fans loosing faith?

Not yet! True Tiger fans will always be Tiger fans. Young children will grow up spending most of their Saturdays tailgating for games outside of Tiger Stadium. RVs will be adorned with LSU paint and stuffed tigers and will still drive hundred of miles to see the team play at opposing venues. That said, if Miles cannot find a way to field a more disciplined, better prepared and stronger team, his head will be on the chopping block. Fans young and old have no problem planting “For Sale” signs in coaches’ yards.

Soon, there may come a time when several million dollars for a buy-out seems like pocket change if it means luring a new head coach to Baton Rouge. After all, we have driven out better coaches for less (no pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment